Thursday 22 March 2012

Irish Potato Bread!

After having caught up on BBC's Saturday Kitchen I was inspired to make the Irish potato bread recipe that was featured. In the spirit of St.Patrick's day as well, I thought it was appropriate! Using the delicious left over mash (about 175g of potato) from our pie, I simply added one egg, and about enough plain flour until you get a 'dough' like consistency. This takes quite awhile, but it's enjoyable. Keep adding the flour, mixing it in using a wooden spoon, at first it may seem too runny because of the egg, but keep adding! Then once it starts to form a firm ball, roll it out on to a floured surface. (Bare in mind I was making this up as I went along!) Then I simply rolled this out in to two neat balls. I assumed you can't fiddle with it too much like actual bread, so avoid the temptation to knead it. Then using the palm of your hand flatten until about 1cm thick. Then take a ramekin or cutter and neatly make two discs. Then heat up a small frying pan, dry, with no fat, and cook the potato breads for about 3 minutes on each side. Depending on how thick they're made, they'll need longer. Have a go! They would go super nice with a poached egg!

No comments:

Post a Comment